Looking for poetry links and references? Check these out!
- For the most up to date information please refer to the venue websites – pi-New Haven is not responsible for the accuracy of information on these sites
- If we missed something, you can contact us via email but we prefer you post in comments below. Thanks!
Resources are sectioned into the following groups:
- Connecticut Poetry Venues: Listed by county these represent a listing of some of Connecticut’s most popular open mics, festivals, special events. Links are provided where available. If your venue is not listed or listed incorrectly let us know!
- Connecticut Poetry Organizations, Journals & Publishers: Get involved! Get Published. Connecticut has a wealth of opportunities for you and your poems to mingle!
- Other Online Poetry Resources: Believe it or not poetry does exist outside of Connecticut! Here are some resources it’s good to have at your fingertips.
- Mailing Lists: Sign up for the mailing lists available via these websites (some are repeated from above) and receive updates about readings both local and across New England and NYC. How about a poetry-filled daytrip to Boston or New York?
- Other: From powerhouse poetry sites to workshops on Block Island and local poetry Educational programs, anything that doesn’t fit neatly in the categories above goes here!
Linking to us from your site? Thank you! Please List The Poetry Institute-New Haven using the main page domain: http://www.thepoetryinstitute.com
Connecticut Poetry Venues by County
We do try to keep this up to date but please refer to each venue’s website or contacts for a full understanding of their programs and the most current status.
- Poetry Beat Open Mike-Fairfield (Listed on CTPoet Calendar/no website. Las Vetas Lounge M:Weekly: 7:30 pm)
- Poem Alley at Curley’s Diner – Stamford (Listed on CTPoet Calendar as a first Tuesday weekly series. No website)
- Poetz Realm – Bridgeport
- Third Thursday in Stamford – (Open Mic at the Stamford Borders 7:30-9:00/no website)
- Wednesday Night Poetry Series – Newtown (WNPS is CT’s longest running weekly open mic. Features every week!)
- Sunken Garden Poetry Festival – Farmington (Since 1992, audiences have enjoyed verse and music among the fragrant blooms of Hill-Stead’s Sunken Garden.)
- Calling All Poets/Silas Bronson Library Open Mic-Waterbury – A weekly series offered February – June
New Haven County
- Beatnik 2000-New Haven (this is listed on the CTPoetry Calendar but not on the Cafenine Website)
- The Poetry Institute – New Haven (This is US!)
- New Haven Public Library Poetry – New Haven (This links to the event blog. Various readings are held annually)
- Yale Beinecke Poetry Series – New Haven: This site highlights both Poetry at Beinecke and across the Yale campus
- An Ordinary Evening Reading Series – New Haven (Brings Poets & Writers / No open mic)
- Yale Bookstore – New Haven (Various readings although I can’t locate the calendar on the website)
- Shoreline Cluster Poets – Madison
- Timeout Poetry Series – Madison Share your favorite poems at these Scranton Libary Favorite get togethers
- Sleeping Giant Poets Guild-Hamden
- Guilford Poetry Guild – Guilford
- The Love Jones Experience – Hartford
- WordForge Reading Series – Hartford Featured poets & theme nights, plus open mike
- Inescapable Rythmns – Hartford (Real Art Ways has a number of programs and collaborations reach beyond Hartford)
- Mishi-Maya-Gat Spoken Word and Music Series Manchester Community College Reading Series with Features
- Wintonbury Branch Library Poetry Series and Open Mike-Bloomfield
Middlesex/New London Counties
- Bean & Leaf Open Mike – New London (voted best coffee bar by CT Magazine-2009)
- Thursday Open Mike – New London (also at Bean & Leaf)
- Riverwood Poetry Series at Buttonwood – Middletown
- Riverwood Underwood Cafe Series – Middletown
- First Tuesday in Middletown – Middletown (No series link is available but this is at Broad Street Books – The Wesleyan Bookstore)
Connecticut Poetry Organizations, Journals & Publishers
- Connecticut Poetry Society (Check this site out for contests and publications: Connecticut River Review, Long River Run)
- Connecticut Review
- Fairfield Review
- Fairfield University Dogwood Review
- Firewheel Editions: Sentence A Journal of Prose Poetics
- Yale Review
- Freshwater Poetry e-zine Asnuntuck Community College has both a journal and a poetry club. Submit!
- Antrim House Books Publishers of Poetry collections in Tarriffeville, CT
- Curbstone Press Willimantic CT publisher of poetry
- Poetry Liner Notes Local Sandy Hook poet Robin Sampson asks poets about published poems and what inspired them
- Connecticut PoetZ Calendar
- Guilford Poetry Guild
- Sleeping Giant Poets Guild
- The Poetry Institute – New Haven — Us again!
- The James Merrill House
- Upwords poetry A CT based resource for young poets and teachers
- Friends & Enemies of Wallace Stevens
Other Online Poetry Organizations and Resources
- Duotrope’s Digest Online listing of poetry and fiction journals with submission information and tools
- Poets & Writers The nation’s largest non-profit serving creative writers
- Poets.org From the Academy of American Poets. Poetry, Poems, Bios and more
- The Poetry Foundation: From POETRY the journal to resources and tools
- NFSPS: National Federation of State Poetry Societies
- NewPages.com: Literary Magazine and Publishing submission & contest info
- CWROPPS A Yahoo Group providing Creative Writers Online Resources. Sign up for news on contests and calls for submissions
- Shoreline Poetry News A Yahoo group for posting and learning about Shoreline Area Poetry events in CT
- Yale listserv : Follow the Beinecke blog instructions to receive their email updates if this link doesn’t work
- AGNI Online. This Boston University literary journal has three email lists: AGNI only readings, Boston-area readings and New York City readings.
- New-Poetry List This Contemporary Poetry News and Views List is managed by one of our CT community members!
- Poets House Taking a trip to NYC? Visit the Poets House library, poetry collection or catch a class!
- Block Island Poetry Project Lisa Starr’s stellar poetry workshop program now includes weekend workshops
- Sharon Charde Writing Retreats Connecticut’s own Sharon Charde offers writing workshops that are downright theraputic!
- Wesleyan University Writer’s Conference
- Soul Mountain (Closed! but refer to the website to understand this important component of CT’s Poetry History)
- Southern Connecticut State University MFA program